Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Flipped (An Original Poem)

Please don't hate me
For the way I see the colors in the sky
Don't despise me 
For the mark that's on my chest
Nor for the book
I have written on my heart

Extremely lazy
Do the tears fall that I cry
It is not easy
Being me but I do my best
So quit your look
Before the colors start 
To run down
Run down
Run down
Until it's all brown

Swallow your pride
I'll swallow mine
Let my truth be my truth
I'll let yours be thine

Believe me when I say 
"I love you"
Trust me when I say
"I'd give my life for you"
Greater love has never
Been known
Been shown
Grace, no sweeter sound

My truth is denied
Where once t'was thine
Keep your "I do"
Drink all the wine
Dance all night and ever
Happy
Please be
Until we all hit the ground

This nightingale sings
Of a freedom still rings
From the very first page
Until a day and an age
My mark is flipped
And my wings are clipped
And my liberty is dipped
In tar



3 comments:

  1. Those ending lines though!!! Chills

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the structure!! You created such a lovely flow of words and emotions. Great job, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "liberty dipped in tar" is a powerful final image.

    Earlier in the poem, I was curious as to why you made the choice: "Extremely lazy" ?

    This is ine of those kinds of poems that rewards the reader with multiple readings.

    ReplyDelete