Saturday, February 4, 2017

Word Count Saturday

In median res was a new and simple yet helpful experience. I practiced "pantsing" my readers as well as myself and finding out more about my protagonist. I wanted the scene to be dramatic and cruel to the main character at first, but inspiration by the hero from the comedy Psych inspired me otherwise, and the quirky spy/vigilante emerged victorious at what became a resolution to an episode of crime-fighting. I was quite confused at my own silly, Shawn Spencer 2.0 character (if there was ever such a thing), but then realized I had never tried writing a comedic piece before. I found it thoroughly enjoyable, though going back and reading it, I was not sure if I myself found it that amusing.


I suppose this is a wake-up call for me to practice my comedy writing and to experiment with that genre. It is tricky for me, considering I have never had the class-clown sort of personality. But as readers chuckle at subtly-entertaining characters such as Austin's Mr. Bennett, I hope that in my story, I will be able to incorporate some well-baked comic relief.


Short Story Progress: I want it to be as mind-blowing as the egg, but I cannot recall many unique realizations from my many hours spent in pensive reflection. I suppose to be inspired, I will need to go out into Nature, like the good, ol' Romantic poets of yore, or do something maddeningly reckless. Or maybe I will sit and listen to instrumental music and try and put a story to it (and hopefully not come up with anything too cliché, as I so often do when attempting at this exercise). Whatever I come up with, I just hope that I like it enough to read it.

1 comment:

  1. "The Egg" was rather cool, was it not?

    And feel free to practice being a class clown during Creative Writing. :)

    ReplyDelete