Monday, February 27, 2017

My Dog Milica (Yes you pronounced it wrong)

So I have this dog.
I have this stupid, fat, rectanglular, cream and white pastry of a dog named Milica. I know how you're reading that name right now. Please don't read it like that out loud. If you do, a Serbian somewhere in the universe cringes.
It's pronounced Mee-Lee-tsah, and don't forget to stress the "Mee" part.
My mom named her. More out of spite for the way every Serb she has ever known will name his farm animals common American names like "Linda" or "Sophia" or "Roscoe". Her vengeful mind came up with a common Serbian female name that means "dearest". Honestly my sisters and I only agreed on the name because it sounded cute. Our Serbo-American pride loved the fact that it screamed we are serious about our heritage.
So we got her from an acquaintance of mine in my Ceramics class. I had come home one night from class unable to stop yapping about how a classmate of mine brought in a puppy of a few weeks old, trying to showcase the litter of pups her mother's friend was trying to find homes for.
"Mom! I heard her offer the puppy to my professor for free! They're free!" The cost of a puppy was always a worry of my mother's. It turns out false advertising was all it ever took for my mother to fall in love with the idea of finally owning a dog.
$300 and 2 days later, we had finally fulfilled our dream of having a dog! My mother was enamoured with the timid, shaking ball of white fluff. As a pup, she was lousy at barking but evoked the heaviest guilt with her crying, so much so that cage conditioning was not even an option. She followed us everywhere. Lived and breathed for nobody but us, and it was not too a rare phenomenon that she even chose our love over food itself!
She was, is, and always will be the camera-shy, Elvis-lipped, bath-loathing potato on sticks with paws that smell just like Fritos.

2 comments:

  1. I love this reflection because it not only describes your dog but gives us a glimpse of your family.

    I think we need some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this reflection because it not only describes your dog but gives us a glimpse of your family.

    I think we need some photos!

    ReplyDelete